In this article, we are going to show you how you can fix any HTC Vive Controller issue. If you see that your controller is not connected or is not working even after you have plugged it in via USB cable and there is a specific color of LED, it means that you need to configure it properly in order to get it to work.
How to Fix HTC Vive Controller Not Connected Error
We are going to show you some quick fixes to controller connection problem based on the color of the LED.
If LED Color is Blue
When you see Blue color on your controller LED, it indicates that the controller is not properly connected to your PC and you need to pair controllers again in order for them to work properly. To pair HTC Vive controllers with PC, follow the steps below
- Open SteamVR.
- Tap the drop down menu icon (arrow indicating below) and select Devices.
- From the next menu, select Pair Controller.
- Follow the instructions to successfully pair your HTC Vive controller with your PC.
If LED Color is Red
If you see a Red color on your controller LED, it means that your SteamVR controllers are not responding. You need to reset them in order to make them work. You can reset your controller following the steps below
- Press and hold the following buttons simultaneously:
- Menu button
- Trackpad button
- Grip buttons
- While pressing these buttons, connect your controller to your PC via microUSB cable.
- Wait for 5 seconds and release all the buttons.
- You will see a prompt on PC that it has found a new storage device.
- After few seconds, unplug your controller from the PC.
- Start SteamVR.
- See if the controller is detected by SteamVR and it says that there is a firmware update available for controller.
Your controller is now reset. You can connect it again and it should work properly now.
How to Force Install Controller Firmware Using SteamVR
If you want to force reinstall controller firmware within SteamVR, follow the steps below
Plug your controller to your PC.
- Run SteamVR.
- Right click on SteamVR icon in system tray.
- Select Devices and then Update Firmware.
- Press together Control + Shift + Home key on your keyboard.
- You will see all devices will say Update available. Only update controller firmware.
If You Have an ASUS Motherboard
If you have an ASUS motherboard and are having controller issues, uninstalling the following programs will make them work:
- ASUS AI Suite 3(better to select all components when uninstalling).
- ASUS Xonar U7 suite.
- Any other ASUS software that you have installed from the motherboard CD.
If Controllers Are Not Connecting Wirelessly
If you are unable to connect controllers wirelessly, follow the steps below
- Turn off controllers.
- Open SteamVR.
- Connect controller A with PC via microUSB cable.
- Now power on the controller A.
- Wait for 5-10 seconds then unplug it from USB.
After following these steps, you will see in SteamVR window that the controller icon turns from green to grey and again to green indicating that it is connected wirelessly.
If Only 1 Controller is Working at a Time
If you are having trouble connecting both controller A and controller B at the same time like if you connect controller A, controller B disconnects and vice versa then you need to force unpair them from SteamVR. Follow the steps below to force unpair controllers.
- Go to Steam folder on your PC and go to the following path. Currently, we have it in our C drive in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\tools\lighthouse\bin\win32
- Run lighthouse_console.exe.
- In the console window, type unpairall without space and press Enter key.
- Close the console.
- Now, follow the pair controller process that we have in the section when controller LED is Blue.
We hope this guide helped you fix the HTC Vive controller problem.