Today, we are going to show you how to fix HTC Vive Error 113 Path registry not writable. The error description is
We are unable to save a path necessary for SteamVR. Your permissions may not be set correctly – make sure you can write to the user directory of your machine.
Since the VR tech is quite new in the industry and not a lot of people are expert at installing their first VR Headset properly, these type of issues usually come that halt the process of user’s first-ever Virtual Reality experience.
This error can be recognized when you try to start your HTC Vive VR Headset and it gives you this error.
Cause of Error
Typical case where this Error 113 comes is when you install HTC Vive drivers and software without proper permissions. Usually, it’s because the current user account you are logged in to does not have the adequate Administrative Privileges to properly write registry entries for the HTC Vive in Windows.
Fix for Error 113 Path registry not writable
There is only one fix available for this error because 99% of the users were able to solve their issue by using this guide below which we are going to write.
- Open My Computer.
- Now navigate to the folder where you have HTC Vive software.
- Right click on the folder and select Properties.
- After a new window is opened, select the Security tab above.
- Click on the Edit button.
- Now there are two sections. Look inside the Group or user names section and see if your current user (the one with which you are logged in) is appearing in this section.
- If it is there, move on to Step 6.
- If it is not there, click on the Add button and type the name of your user to add it to the list.
- Now, look inside the Permissions for Authenticated Users section. Here you will need to check the Allow checkbox for the option Full control as you want to give full permission to the current user for the current folder.
- Once you have checked the Allow box, click on Apply button to apply the changes and then click OK in subsequent windows to close them.
- Note one thing that if you are not logged into Administrative account and someone else is an Administrator, you will need the Administrator’s password in order to change the permissions for the user.
Hopefuly, after following these steps, you will be able to solve the HTC Vive Error 113 Path registry not writable problem. If you are still facing the same problem, then you might want to switch to a different user account with Administrative Privileges and install there.