Since last year, Samsung has partnered with Oculus to bring virtual reality for smartphone users, particularly the people using Samsung’s flagship smartphones. Oculus and Samsung released the Gear VR which is compatible with Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The Gear VR is an affordable VR headset which allows people to enjoy VR portably or those who cannot afford the Oculus Rift for PC. The Gear VR uses a smartphone’s sensors to detect movement and show the result of the movement in the smartphone’s screen which the user sees through the headset.
Do read our review of the Samsung Gear VR. If you have recently bought the Gear VR and don’t know how to set it up, then here is how to set up Gear VR with Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge:
A beginners guide to setup Samsung Gear VR with Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge
Step 1: Prepare Your Gear VR
Before you install Gear VR apps and use the Gear VR with your Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge, you will need to prepare your Gear VR if it is being used for the first time with your phone.
Follow these simple steps:
- Install the straps of your Gear VR by inserting the end of the straps in the main loops on the Gear VR.
- Remove the protectors on the lens which are applied before the Gear VR leaves the factory.
- Gently remove the front cover to reveal the area where your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge will be placed to be used with the Gear VR.
- If there is dust anywhere on the Gear VR, clean it off with a microfiber cloth.
After you have followed these steps, continue to the next section.
Step 2: Install Gear VR Apps
In this step, you will install the apps required by the Gear VR to give you the VR experience. Follow these steps to install Gear VR apps:
- Your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge should be connected to an internet connection through the phone’s Wi-Fi. Make sure your phone is connected to the internet.
- Turn up the media volume of your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.
- Change the position of the left device holder to Position A for the Galaxy S7 Edge or Position B if you have a Galaxy S7.
- Attach your phone to the micro USB plug on the left device holder and fix your phone with the right device holder.
- After a few seconds, you will hear a voice prompt if you have attached the device correctly. If you have not attached the device correctly, repeat Step 4.
- After the voice prompt, immediately remove your phone from the Gear VR.
- On your phone’s screen, you will see the Gear VR welcome screen, tap on “Next”.
- On the next screen, you will see the Warning and EULA notices. Tap on “Agree” if you have read them and tap on “Next”.
- The Gear VR setup wizard will then start to download and install the following apps:
- Gear VR System
- Gear VR Video
- Gear VR Gallery
- App Manager
- Oculus Home
- Now, to install more VR apps, you will need to make an Oculus account, if you don’t have one, to download games and apps from the Oculus Store.
- Tap on the Oculus app from the App Drawer of your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge and make your Oculus Account or Log In to your existing account and download whatever apps you want to download.
After following the above steps, you are ready to use your Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge with the Gear VR.
Step 3: Use Your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge with Gear VR
Now, you will need to attach your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge to use the VR apps you downloaded for the Gear VR. Follow these easy steps:
- Attach your S7 or S7 Edge to the Gear VR just as explained in the last section.
- As soon as you attach your phone, you will see the tutorial for the Gear VR and Oculus Home if you are using the Gear VR for the first time.
- As soon as the tutorial is over, you will see the Oculus Home from where you will be able to access your VR apps and the Oculus Store and settings for the Gear VR.
- If you have installed apps from the Oculus Store, go ahead and select the Library on the Oculus Home screen using the Gear VR’s touch pad.
- Then select any app you want to use.
These were simple steps on how to set up Gear VR with Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. You will enjoy the VR experience with the Gear VR but make sure you know how to deal with VR sickness before you use the Gear VR for longer periods of time. If you encounter any focus issue with the Samsung Gear VR, we have a solution for you right here.