Last year, in 2015, Google and LG announced the Nexus 5X phone, the successor of the widely popular LG Nexus 5 among Android enthusiasts. Even though being a huge improvement over the Nexus 5, the Nexus 5X is reported to be sluggish or even show lagging performance sometimes.
If you are facing similar problems, this guide will tell you how to speed up your Google Nexus 5X for improved performance. There are many other factors involved as well like there might be some apps that you are using which are not fully optimized for Nexus 5X and they are the cause of slow performance of your Nexus 5X device.
Improve Your Nexus 5x Performance
Quickly Unlock your Nexus 5X
Unlocking your Nexus 5X through the fingerprint sensor can significantly save your time if you keep unlocking your phone for an important email, making a call etc. If you have turned on the fingerprint sensor, also called the Nexus Imprint, just place your finger, which you have registered for unlocking, on the fingerprint sensor to unlock your Nexus 5X. If you have not turned on the Nexus Imprint, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Nexus Imprint.
- Enable fingerprint sensor and register your fingerprints by following the instructions on the screen.
Speed up animations on the Nexus 5X
Android’s animations do look impressive when you are using your Nexus 5X, but they can also add delay in the performance. You can avoid this by slowing down the animations on your Nexus 5X by following these steps:
- First you will need to activate “Developer Settings” by going to Settings > About Phone and tap “Build Number” seven times.
- “Developer Settings” will appear at the bottom of the Settings page on the Nexus 5X.
- Inside “Developer Settings”, under “Drawing”, change window animation scale, transition animation scale and animator duration scale to 0.5x each.
- Now your Nexus 5X will be showing faster animations for faster performance.
Launch Nexus 5X camera more quickly
On the Nexus 5X, unlocking the phone and opening the camera takes far too long than it should. Luckily, the Nexus 5X has the option to open the camera by double tapping the power button twice to launch the camera app. If you use some other camera app than the one that came with your Nexus 5X, do this:
- Go to Settings > Apps > Camera > Open By Default and select Clear Defaults.
- After that, double tap the power button and the Nexus 5X will ask you to choose which camera app as default.
Use fast charging on your Nexus 5X
You can easily get more battery power on your Nexus 5X in minimum time by using the fast charger that came with your Nexus 5X. Many third-party companies provide fast chargers but these are not supported by the Nexus 5X.
You can also charge the Nexus 5X by connecting it to a Nexus 6P with a USB-C cable.
Customize Quick Settings toggles on the Nexus 5X
Customizing the Quick Settings toggles is more about making your using experience faster than the Nexus 5X’s performance. By changing the position of the Quick Settings toggles you can get things done faster. The main problem is that the customize page for Quick Settings toggles is hidden in the Nexus 5X. Follow these steps to get to the System UI Tuner:
- Swipe down Quick Settings from the top of the screen.
- Tap and hold the Settings icon. The icon will start to spin and you’ll see a notification telling you that “System UI Tuner” has been added to the settings.
- Navigate to Settings > System UI Tuner > Quick Settings.
- Tap and hold the icons to rearrange the toggles.
Factory Reset your Nexus 5X
Over time, most smartphones tend to get slower by time due to an overload of apps or excessive daily usage. If your Nexus 5X slows down, shows sluggish performance or keeps showing some sort of errors then you should do a factory reset on your Nexus 5X:
- Before Factory Resetting your Nexus 5X, backup your important stuff if you want to.
- Go to Settings > Backup and Reset > Factory Data Reset and tap on Reset Phone.
- This will delete all the data on your Nexus 5X and reboot your phone.
- After your Nexus 5X starts, it will feel like a new phone again.
Now your Nexus 5X will show improved performance if you have followed the above mentioned steps. If you still feel your Nexus 5X slows down sometimes, make sure that you uninstall useless apps so that your phone performs lesser background processes.